Saturday, December 14, 2013

How I Skipped the Spine Surgeon's Knife


At first I thought it was a normal bout of hip joint pain which frequently recurred and went off after taking Ibuprofen. This prescription drug is used to relieve pain, tenderness, swelling, and stiffness caused by osteoarthritis. But this time the severe radiating pain into my hip, buttocks, nerve pinching, tingling and numbness on my right thigh and foot, continued for three weeks having barely no sleep at night , a condition that rendered alarming loss of weight. I decided to consult a physician to check on my hip joint problem but after explaining him about the pains, he suggested that it was not the hip joint, but my spine had a problem. Examination process began with x-rays which showed widespread osteophytosis, and spondylosis-immobility of verterbral joints, among other complications.

The doctor said my problem was a matter to do with spine bone degeneration in which the cartilage wears through and the spine bones responds by growing extra bones at the margins of the joint surface. He explained that these growths called 'spurs' had compressed the nerves hence the reason for nerve pains, numbness and related problems. He gave me a prescription indicating several drugs I could buy from a pharmacist, also gave me instructions to observe, including complete bed rest and the shoes I should wear. Unfortunately none of prescription drugs could alleviate my pain. The doctor had said if I didn't get much help from prescribed medication, an alternative help would be to go for spine surgery where the spurs could be removed to free the nerves. I decided to pursue the surgery option but just before I made an appointment with the spine surgeon, I sought a second opinion with another doctor, who, after perusing the medical report and ex-rays taken by my earlier doctor, suggested it was best not to have the spine bone spurs surgically removed, instead he was of the opinion that taking food supplements with high calcium content, the bones could be regenerated and possibly end my problems, to which I opted the food supplements.

I began taking Chinese herbal preparations March 16, 2009 - anti-Lipemic tea; Zinc Cream Supplement; Nutrient High Calcium, Lecithin+Calcium; Cordyceps Mycelium capsules; Chitosan capsules; Vitality Softgel Capsules; Dia Gins. Within 40 days of taking these preparations, my pain was gone and I have since been doing my daily chores normally. I have also benefited from taking whole-leaf aloe vera juice and wheat grass tea; these two herbs have an abundance of calcium and other nutrients.

No comments:

Post a Comment