Monday, December 16, 2013

A Method to Stop Clenching and Grinding


One of the leading causes of TMJ Disorder is the propensity for sufferers to be nocturnal clenchers and grinders. Some even find themselves desperately clenching during the day when they are in stressful situations. Traffic jams, personal confrontations, medical concerns and unexpected bad news are just a few examples of what can lead one to clenching while fully conscious.

Nocturnal clenching and grinding can be an especially damaging habit, particularly as the person doing it rarely realizes that this is what they are doing. A sore jaw, aching teeth, headaches, ear pain, tinnitus and many other symptoms can be one's only indication that something is terribly amiss as one sleeps.

The reasons for clenching and grinding are mysterious and as varied as the large percentage of people who do so. Besides stress, there may be other factors that mitigate this problem. Some scientists are exploring a genetic cause. It seems that many clenchers/grinders also have at least one parent who also does this. Or, since clenching and grinding is a common childhood practice, but one that most (not all) people outgrow, clenching and grinding could be a habit that one just never broke. It's hard to break a habit that one doesn't know one has. In fact, it can be hard to break the habit even if one DOES KNOW.

I've been a lifelong clencher, with some grinding. I actually lasted many years before problems arose, but when they finally did rear their ugly little heads, I was far down the path of TMJ pain and extreme discomfort. Incredibly, it was actually a medical doctor who gave me advice on how to stop this nocturnal habit. It worked for me, and it has worked for almost everyone that I've shared this with. As odd as this may sound, it's worth trying. It costs nothing and takes a minimum amount of time.

Ready? This is an exercise using the power of your subconscious. The same subconscious that people tap into to cure cancer and other ailments and diseases. It can cure your grinding habits too.

When you go to bed at night, repeat to yourself at least three times, "I will not grind or clench my teeth tonight, and if I do I will wake up immediately and stop." Remember, say this at least three times and really focus on what you're saying. When you crawl into bed, place your tongue behind your front teeth. Relax your jaw. The lower teeth should not be touching the teeth above. Repeat your mantra: "I will not grind or clench my teeth tonight, and if I do I will wake up immediately and stop." This whole process only takes a minute or two. It can make a difference. In addition, many people write this out on a note card or piece of paper and lay it on their nightstand.

The first week I tried this I woke up five to ten times a night as I was starting to clench or grind. Soon, however, the number of times I awoke dropped off dramatically. I no longer clench or grind, and when I start to, I automatically wake up and stop.

It's worth a try. It's worked for me and for many others. Believe in yourself and the power of your subconscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment