Thursday, October 17, 2013

Not Everyone Will Recover From TMJ Disorder


Recently I was abruptly reminded, by two long term TMJ Disorder sufferers, that not all cases of TMJ Disorder will self-resolve. These ladies were incensed at the title of a book I have written on this disorder which implies that everyone can conquer this disorder. And I do agree with them. This is a sad fact of this disorder: For a multitude of reasons, some cases are never going to be "cured."

For Some, Surgery May Be Necessary

I do know that some cases of TMJD may require irreversible procedures performed, like surgery. Unfortunately, all too often sufferers are worse off after surgery than they were before the procedure. I have had contact with far too many individuals who've paid thousands of dollars for irreversible procedures and not been left better off. I still say that surgery should be done only as a last case resort, and one should be prepared to suffer the unforeseen consequence that perhaps, just perhaps, they will not be better off for the experience. For some, however, surgery IS the solution.

Book Title

In fact, were I to re-title my book, I would not use the current title because it is, I now see, misleading. This was completely unintentional on my part given that, statistically, most cases of TMJD do resolve with a SOFTER DIET and TIME. For those who have shaken their fists in anger at this Pollyanna approach to TMJD, I apologize sincerely. It has totally never been my intention to belittle or diminish the extent of a person's suffering from this disorder. I've had this disorder. It was not only excruciatingly painful, it was extremely, totally depressing.

Pain Free, but Cautious

In point of fact, can I truly state I am completely recovered from my case of TMJD? No. Even though I am pain free, I am very cautious about what I eat. If anything is the least chewy or tough, I take an immediate pass on that item. I cannot eat apples on the core; I cannot eat corn on the cob; I seldom attempt to chew gum; no jaw breakers; sandwiches can sometimes be difficult; the list can go on. At best I can state I am now pain free and able to eat most foods, even crunchy items like carrot sticks. I cherish this because I know it can take only one careless moment, one thoughtless bite on something, and I could be back at square one.

Many Treatment Options Available

TMJD sufferers have a plethora of options they can now explore before they go the surgical or "irreversible procedure" route. Some steadfastly claim that chiropractic intervention cures their sporadic attacks of TMJD. Some cling to their use of mouthguards at night. Others resort to acupuncture. I, and others, believe that time and a softer diet alleviate the problem (along with stopping nocturnal clenching and grinding). There are, basically, many paths one can take to find relief from this malady. Not every path is right for every person. And for a few individuals, there may be no paths. Pain management may be the only option left.

So, for those who have been offended at the title of my book because time and a softer diet did not work for them, I apologize. It was never my intention to mislead anyone. Despite the fact that many dentists and health practitioners agree with me, I do recognize that my path may not be everyone's path.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment