Thursday, September 19, 2013

Do You Suffer From Leg and Hip Pain - Are Your Aching Joints Making Movement Difficult?


My personal experience of leg and hip pain comes as a result of the arthritis I have suffered in my hip for over four years now, and I fully sympathize with you if you have to live with pain and restricted movement in your joints. Apart from the obvious physical discomfort, I personally found that the constant aches and pains wore me down mentally, and left me feeling short-tempered and depressed.

After much trial and error, I have found that exercise and certain supplements provide the most relief from the symptoms of my arthritis.

Exercise the pain away

Many (relatively) fit and healthy people are exercise-phobic. They have become masters of procrastination, always putting off that jog or visit to the gym as they don't have time right now. Those who suffer from pain and restricted movement in their joints have a much better excuse -- it can be difficult enough just standing up to walk to the bathroom, let alone taking any real exercise. However, the benefits of motivating yourself to exercise regularly really do make the initial effort worthwhile.

There are many exercise programs specifically designed for people who suffer from arthritis or similar complaints. I would suggest you ask your doctor or physiotherapist for advice regarding the best exercise regime for your particular situation. My doctor stressed that warming up before a workout is absolutely vital, starting off slowly with some gentle stretching to help to warm up my muscles. I was advised not to bounce when stretching. Also, If it started to hurt, then I was to stop that particular motion. My favorite exercise, and one which I've heard recommended time and time again, is swimming.

I find being weightless in a pool immensly relaxing in itself and swimming is an exercise that's easily tailored to your personal level of fitness. Lots of exercises, such as running, walking and cycling essentially consist of repetitive actions with the same joint motions occurring over and over again, and a specific set of muscles repeating the same movements for the duration of the exercise. This is where swimming really comes up trumps. It's gentle on your joints, and you can exercise pretty much any muscle group at will, with one session giving your whole body a workout if desired.

Glucosamine, Chondroitin and Cetyl Myristoleate

Ok, so that's not a heading that's likely to appeal to anyone except the odd chemist among you. But these three supplements taken separately or together, are the most popular ones currently on the market. Many studies have shown their beneficial effect in reducing the symptoms of arthritis and related conditions. Personally, I take a supplement which includes both glucosamine and CM, and I highly recommend this combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment